[ arbor : tree ] + [ borealis : northern ]

Transcripts for the 39th Regiment in Ireland, 1819–1825

Home > Records > Historical newspapers > 39th Regiment in Ireland, 1819–1825

Dusseau, Alphonse. Limerick, 1830. (9th July 1830). Souvenirs pittoresque de mes voyages dans les Payes de Galles et Irelande. Digital image online at The National Library of Wales/Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru (accessed 26th Jan. 2021). Note: On the verso was written, «Seuls Restes des anciennes fortifications de Limerick, vue prête du fauxbourg de l’Irish-Town Sur le Shannon; L. de 60,000 habitants est la 4me des villes Irlandaises, Sa population, son étendue, Son commerce, la rangent après Dublin, Belfast et Cork. 9 Juillet 1830.» — L. de = Lors de? — Trans. “Sole remains of the ancient fortifications of Limerick, seen near the outskirts of Irish Town on the Shannon; Then [or at that time] about 60,000 inhabitants is the fourth of the Irish towns. Its population, its extent, its commerce, rank it after Dublin, Belfast, and Cork. 9 July 1830.” Licensed as Creative Commons CC-BY-NC 4.0 International. Readers are encouraged to visit the Creative Commons link to learn the rights and restrictions for re-use of this image.

Removal from Cork to Castlebar, Jan. 1819: — “The 39th Regiment, from Cork, is arrived at Castlebar, to replace the 92d.” — Source: Morning Post, 11 Jan. 1819.

Seizure of whiskey, July 1819: — “On the 7th inst., Messrs. O’Malley and Morris, Officers of Excise, lodged in the King’s Stores, at Westport, seven stills, six heads and six worms, with a quantity of whiskey, seized in different parts of Erris, assisted by a party of the 39th regiment of foot, and the Nepean revenue cruizer. They have also destroyed one thousand and fifty gallons of pot-ale, 43 gallons of singlings, 150 gallons of whiskey, 128 barrels of malt, (dry and in process,) and two still-heads and worms. Four of the above stills were at full work when seized; and they arrested three prisoners.—Mayo Constitution.” — Source: Saunders’s News-Letter, 20 July 1819.

Shocking outrage at Roscommon, Nov. 1819: — “Roscommon, Nov. 11. — Shocking Outrage.—As one of the 39th Regiment was passing through Ballymurry, on his way to Castlebar, he was attacked by three ruffians, who knocked him down, and robbed him of all the money he had about him, amounting to a few shillings. Not content with beating and robbing the unfortunate man, those inhuman monsters, actuated by that feeling of atrocity which at present unfortunately pervades the lower orders of the people in this county, severed the toes from his right foot with a spade.” — Source: Saunders’s News-Letter, 15 Nov. 1819.

Insurgents at Dunmacreena, Feb. 1820: — “(From the Mayo Constitution.) — “In addition to the variety of information respecting the operations of these ruffians in the county of Galway, which will be found in this sheet, we have some of an interesting description to furnish, from our more immediate vicinage, and from authentic sources. We have already noticed the daring display which they made on Wednesday, in the neighbourhood of Clare—the particulars of that affair, as transmitted to the Marquis of Sligo, we have been obligingly supplied with. They are as follow:
“‘Clare, February 24, 1820.
   “‘My Lord—Herewith I transmit a detailed statement of the events that occurred here during the last few days. On the night of Tuesday, the 22d instant, the rebels, from the counties of Roscommon and Galway, made a concentrated movement through the pass towards Mayo, between Dunmacreena and Belmount, having taken advantage of the absence of Capt. Higgins, who had been detached from thence a few days before to Kilmaine, to observe their movements on that side.
   ‘Their numbers may probably have amounted to twelve or thirteen hundred men; and while a rebel column of five hundred men was posted before Dunmacreena, to keep the detachment stationed there in check, they passed into Mayo, broke into several columns, and proceeded towards the different villages, in the direction of Musickfield and Ballindangan, to swear the people of those villages; but they were immediately fallen in with by a patrole [sic] of the 39th Regiment, under the direction of the Rev. Denis Browne, and checked in their proceedings.
   “‘In the meantime, notwithstanding the determination of those ruffians to attack the post at Dunmacreena, Captain Crean formed the resolution to detach a party in their rear to attack them, and succeeded in making eight prisoners, and putting a column of them to the route; but, fearing they might attack Dunmacreena, he countermarched and lodged his prisoners at the barrack, when the symptoms of attack on the part of the Insurgents continued to increase. He therefore determined instantly to transmit the prisoners to Clare, to the Right Hon. Denis Browne, under an escort of Yeomanry, who were attacked on the road, near Ballindangan, by a party of Rebels, collected together from the columns that had been previously dispersed. They were obliged to fire four volleys on the Insurgents, whom they drove off, after making their leader prisoner; and from the quantity of blood which appeared on the road, it is supposed some of the assailants must have been severely wounded.
   “‘An express, in the meantime, reached Clare, when the Right Honourable Denis Browne and Colonel Browne advanced with a party of the 39th Regiment, under the command of Major D’Arcy, to the assistance of the Yeomanry, and were joined on the road by Dominick Browne, Esq., Member for the County, his brother, Mr. George Browne, and Dr. Keane, of Castlebar, with a number of Gentlemen and armed servants from Castle Mount-Garrett, who succeeded in driving these miscreants into the County of Galway, without coming in contact with them—since which time the posts have been reinforced, and tranquillity restored.
  ” ‘I have the honor to be, my Lord,
  ” ‘Your very obedient Servant,
  ” ‘Henry Browne.
  ” ‘The Marquis of Sligo, Governor of Mayo, &c.’”
— Source: Saunders’s News-Letter, 2 Mar. 1820.
Another account:
   “Tuam, March 9.—About four o’clock on Monday last, this town was thrown into the utmost confusion and alarm by the arrival of a person, who stated that an engagement had taken place between a small detachment of the North Mayo Militia, stationed at Belmont, seven miles from hence, and a party of Ribbonmen, and that after an obstinate battle, the latter were obliged to retreat, leaving thirty of their men killed and a number wounded. In an instant the military were called out and appeared under arms, and a party of the Rifle brigade, with an officer, were dispatched, at double-quick time, to the scene of action; but, on their arrival within a short distance of it, they were ordered to return, as all was quiet, and the Ribbonmen dispersed. During the absence of the Riflemen and numbers of the inhabitants, the reports in town were various and contradictory, so much so, that we declined saying any thing of it on Monday, fearing we might be led into error. The facts, however, turned out to be as follows:—
   “Information being given to that zealous and spirited Gentleman, Mr. J.C. Blake, of Belmont, that a Captain of Ribbonmen was within a few miles of his place, he immediately set out in quest of him, accompanied by a serjeant and eight men of the North Mayo Staff, (a party of which he constantly keeps for scouring the neighbourhood,) and, after a long look-out, succeeded in making him a prisoner. The followers of this Noble Commander were soon apprized of his situation, and instantly determined on rescuing him. For this purpose upwards of two hundred of them assembled in a field, near which the military party and prisoner were to pass, the most of them being armed with pitchforks, spades, shovels, and scythes. Mr. E. Blake, of Castlegrove, being apprehensive of an attack, particularly on seeing the crowd of people at a distance, ordered his men to be on their guard, while he resolutely galloped up to the crowd, and judging from their position, that they were for battle, he began, in the mildest manner, to reason with them; he told them they were not aware of their danger, and that if they persevered, the consequence would be murder, as he and his party were well prepared, and also fully determined to stand while a man remained alive. They were deaf to his intreaties, and seemed to laugh at his absurdity in thinking that nine or ten men could conquer so many; upon which he rode back to meet his party, and prepare for the oppositionists, as they might be confident of an attack, at the same time telling the prisoner, that, if he attempted to escape, he would that moment be shot. Mr. Blake, fearing that the soldiers would be surrounded, instantly ordered them to fire, but this appeared only to exasperate the Ribbonmen, who seemed to be closing on the small party more and more. Mr. Blake, seeing no other alternative but a constant fire, ordered his valiant men to keep it up, and to make their way through them, which they did, and so effectually, as to cause the Ribbonmen to retreat precipitately in all directions, leaving one man dead, and five others badly wounded. We are proud to say, that not a man of Mr. Blake’s party received any injury, although stones were thrown at them from all quarters. The soldiers, after securing the wounded, brought them off in a car, with the remains of the unfortunate man and their prisoner, to Belmont, for the purpose of having them transmitted to Clare. There are, we understand, many of these fellows wounded, but a dread of being discovered prevents their procuring medical aid.
   “On Monday, an Inquest was held at Clare, in the county of Mayo, by Paul Mannion, Esq. Coroner for this county, on view of the body of the unfortunate man, named Owen Connor, who was killed on Monday last, by the party of the North Mayo Staff, while aiding others in attempting to rescue a prisoner from them.
   “After the depositions, the Jury found the following Verdict:—”We find that the deceased, Owen Connor, came by his death in consequence of a gunshot wound, fired by a party of the Staff of the North Mayo militia, who were escorting a prisoner, whom the deceased, assisted by a large mob, endeavoured to rescue from the custody of the said party.” — Source: Saunders’s News-Letter, 13 Mar. 1820.

Searches for arms in county Kerry, Jan. 1822: — “On Friday night last, the High Sheriff, A. Blennerhassett, of Ballyseedy, Esq. accompanied by his brother, John Blennerhassett, Esq. and a party of his highly efficient Yeomanry Corps, proceeded to the lands of Gorthaclea, and succeeded in taking up 20 stand of arms, all in excellent condition, and on Saturday night the same Gentleman, whose indefatigable exertions to preserve the peace and good order of the country entitle him to public gratitude, again accompanied by his brother and a party of the 39th regiment, under the command of Lieutenant Leekey, proceeded to the lands of Corrycannon, and Liera-croumpane, and after scouring the country for twenty miles, in which they were occupied from 10 at night until five the following morning, unfortunately did not succeed in the object of their laborious search.—Kerry Advertiser.” Source: Saunders’s News-Letter, 25 Jan. 1822.

Lord Bantry, with a detachment of the 39th Foot, Jan. 1822: — “(From the Cork Intelligencer of Thursday.) — On Tuesday evening great consternation was excited in this city by intelligence brought by some highly respectable persons from the western part of this county, of an engagement having taken place on Monday between a party of the military, under Lord Bantry, and a large party of the insurgents, who had assembled in great force in the mountains between Bantry and Macroom, the communication between which, it was said, they had completely intercepted.
   Anxious to satisfy the public as far as possible, we immediately proceeded to make the most diligent inquiry into the facts of the transaction; in which we had made some progress, when the following letter was handed to us, and which, though brief, may be considered the most accurate particulars that have yet been received on the subject:—
   “‘Bantry, Jan. 21.
   “‘We are all in a state of alarm here: my Lord Bantry has been obliged to retreat again from the Glen of Cooleagh, under extremely unpleasant circumstances. He, this morning, with a detachment of the 39th, under the command of Major Carthew, consisting of thirteen men, met with a number of armed men, consisting in all about sixty persons. They had a desperate affray, and every man took care of number one. They fired on an average twenty rounds a man; and I am told there is but one of the rebel party dead, and three or four wounded. His Lordship’s party left one of the 39th on the field of battle, wounded, who has been since cut to pieces: and I have it from authority, that those ruffians took off his head with them in triumph. I suppose the unfortunate man’s body will be brought in to-morrow.’
   Upon being informed of what had occurred, and that a large party were collecting in the neighbourhood of Inchegela, James Barry, Esq., the active magistrate of that place, immediately proceeded express to Macroom, to communicate with Mr. H. Eyre, who, accompanied by some other gentlemen, and a small detachment of military, horse and foot, under the command of Capt. Fitzclarence, instantly set out for the place. On their arrival, however, at a short distance from it, they observed the people assembled so numerous, and the position they occupied so inaccessible, that they considered it better not to advance without a reinforcement, and until a communication could be had with the General of the district. Accordingly, a gentleman was despatched, who arrived in town on Tuesday evening, at five o’clock; and, from the prompt measures adopted by the General, no doubt the loyal and peaceable inhabitants of the disturbed districts will find protection and security, while those deluded miscreants will speedily meet the punishment they deserve.
   On Sunday last, Captain Krappock and Lieutenant Green, of the 22d regiment, surprised a fellow swearing in some people at a public-house in Newmarket, and, after a long struggle, succeeded in taking some papers from them, which they attempted to destroy. We understand that those papers are of a most treasonable kind, and plainly show that the insurgents aspire to objects of a much more important nature than the abolition of tithes.” — Source: Saunders’s News-Letter, 26 Jan. 1822.

Arrest of Philip Daly Connors at Abbeyfeale, Oct 1822: — “Last week, Captain Crotty, of the 39th Regiment, stationed in Abbeyfeale, apprehended a noted offender of the name of Philip Daly Connors, of Brusna. This man is one of the Ringleaders and Accomplices in the attack on Mr. Hayes’s house, at Cragg, in this County, last winter.” — Source: Dublin Evening Post, 17 Oct. 1822.

Address to the 39th Regiment, April 1823: — “The Grand Jury of Kerry have presented an Address to Col. Sturt and the 39th Regiment, for their excellent conduct in that county.” — Source: Morning Post, 4 April 1823.

Arrest of fifteen men at Abbeyfeale, May 1823. — “Fifteen men have been apprehended at Abbeyfeale, in the County Kerry, by Captain Crotty and patrols of the 39th Regiment, on a charge of being implicated in an attack on Mr. Kittson’s house, and lodged in gaol.” — Source: Saunders’s News-Letter, 4 June 1823.

Unease at Glanisheen, county Limerick, Dec. 1823: — “Limerick, Dec. 13. — Our expectation of returning peace and tranquillity in this County has been somewhat diminished by several late occurrences. Amongst others, we learn from a Correspondent, that, on Sunday evening last, between eight and nine o’clock, lights were perceived on the mountains near the new barrack at Glanisheen, where a detachment of the 39th Regiment is at present stationed. Picquets and patrols from this party, accompanied by the Police stationed at Glanisheen, were on the alert, as usual, and searched several houses in the neighbourhood, but without discovering any thing irregular amongst the inmates. About two o’clock, on Monday morning, the sentry at the barrack perceived two or three men approaching, whom he challenged, and receiving no answer, retreated to the door, and called the guard, who, on turning out and pursuing, saw about twenty men running away, and getting into the large wood at Castle-Oliver, into which it was impossible to follow them with any prospect of success, but it cannot be doubted that these men had it in contemplation to surprize the military, whom they supposed to be but very few, in the absence of the patrol.” — Source: Saunders’s News-Letter, 15 Dec. 1823.

A detachment of the 39th to Newport, county Tipperary, May 1824: — “A detachment of the 39th Regiment, under Lieutenant Newport, marched from Limerick on Wednesday, for Newport, County Tipperary, to replace the 25th, ordered to Ennis.” — Source: Dublin Evening Mail, 21 May 1824.

Distinguished services on the colours, June 1824: — “War Office, June 18.—His Majesty has been pleased to approve of the 39th Regiment bearing on its colours and appointments, the words—Pyrennees, Nivelle, Nive, and Orthes—in commemoration of the distinguished services of that corps.” — Source: Hampshire Chronicle, 21 June 1824.

Soldier fired upon at Bruree, county Limerick, Sept. 1824: — “On Saturday morning last, about two o’clock, a soldier of the 39th Regiment, on sentry at Bruree, within four miles of Charleville, where a party of the Military are stationed, was fired at by some ruthless ruffian, and two of the slugs lodged in his left hand. The Military turned out, and a diligent search made, but with no good effect, for the villain and his party escaped. This is a specimen of “returning tranquillity,” which must carry with it at this early period direful forebodings of the coming winter.—Cork Paper.” — Source: Waterford Mail, 11 Sept. 1824.

Removal to Buttevant, county Cork, Oct. 1824: — “The 39th Regiment of Foot has been ordered to march from Limerick to Buttevant.” — Source: Morning Post, 6 Oct. 1824.

Horse killed by accidental gun shot, Mar. 1825: — “On Monday last, while the 39th Regiment were out firing at Cahirmee, near Buttevant, a valuable horse, the property of Colonel Lindesay, C.B., was accidentally struck on the leg by a musket-ball. The poor animal was immediately shot through the head to put an end to its sufferings.” — Source: Southern Reporter, 22 Mar. 1825.

Private charged with firing a shot at his Colonel, July 1825: — “A private of the 39th Regiment, is to be tried at Cork Assizes for firing a ball cartridge, at a late parade, at Buttevant, with a view to murder his Colonel.” — Source: Belfast Commercial Chronicle, 30 July 1825.

Indictment for shooting and killing at Abbeyfeale, July 1825: — “Limerick, July 28.—Edward Tobin, a private of the 39th regiment, was capitally indicted for having on the 5th September, 1824, at Abbeyfeale, shot at and killed John David Roche. The facts of this case were briefly as follow:—A riot occurred at Abbeyfeale on the day the unfortunate man was shot. The military were called out, but previously to their going out, received orders from the Magistrates and Constabulary ‘to quell the riot and not to fire.’ The riot had nothing of a political nature in it, but was one of those factious outrages which are continually occurring in Ireland at the country fairs. The two parties were called ‘Abbeyfealians and Monevallians.’ They met, and attacked each other furiously with sticks and stones. The battle continued for some time, when the Monavellians prevailed, and the other party retired. On their retreat, however, they were pursued by their opponents, and the fight was renewed in small detached parties of three and four, as well as in individual combats. Lieutenant Coxe, who commanded the military, ordered his men to prime and load, with a view to intimidate the people, and then to proceed after the rioters. The deceased had been fighting with another man of the name of Hartnett, whom he had knocked down. Not content with knocking him down, he was endeavouring to beat out his brains with stones. In this extremity Hartnett called on the military to save his life. The prisoner and two of his comrades came to the assistance of Hartnett, and rescued him from the deceased. The prisoner was struck with a stone while getting Hartnett from the deceased. After this the deceased ran away, and the prisoner pursued him over a bridge, when the prisoner deliberately rested his gun on the walls of the bridge, took aim, and shot deceased in the side. He died on the following day. After this event the riot ceased. The prisoner received a most excellent character as a man and a soldier. The Jury found him guilty of manslaughter, but recommended him to mercy. Sentence—Twelve months’ imprisonment, from the day of his committal, and to be burned in the hand.” — Source: Coventry Herald, 5 Aug. 1825.

Escort of convicts to New South Wales, Oct. 1825: — “The 3d Foot, or Buffs, which was to have been sent from New South Wales to Bombay, on the arrival of four companies of the 57th Foot at the former station, is to remain in that Colony until the arrival in New South Wales of four companies of the 39th Regiment, who are to proceed from this country by detachments, as escorts over convicts.” — Source: Dublin Evening Post, 4 Oct. 1825.

Departure from Cove to Chatham, Oct. 1825: — “The Duchess of York transport having arrived at Cove, the grand division of the 39th Regiment embarked on Friday in that vessel for Chatham.” — Source: Drogheda Journal, 5 Oct. 1825.

Trial for attack on soldiers of the 39th, Nov. 1825: — “Recorders’ Court—This Day.—Denis and Patrick Reardon, were indicted for Assaulting John Cheese, Serjeant, and Thomas York, Private, both of the 39th Regiment.
   “The Prosecutors were returning to the Barrack at an early hour in the morning of the day laid in the indictment, after being in quest of a deserter; when passing Prisoners’ residence (a Public House,) they demanded admittance, thinking it a likely place for the Deserter to shelter himself, when they were immediately attacked and knocked down by about twenty fellows who were drinking there, Guilty.——Sentence deferred ’till Monday next, and in the mean time, the Recorder intimated that their Licence should be taken from them.” — Source: Southern Reporter, 3 Nov. 1825.

Soldier injured by over-charged gun, June 1819: — “A few days since a soldier of the 39th regiment, named Archer, servant to Capt. Thorpe, had his hand blown off by the bursting of an over-charged gun, in a boat on the lake of Castlebar. Some Officers who were in the boat narrowly escaped injury.” — Source: Public Ledger, 29 June 1819.

Ball and supper at Castlebar, Oct. 1819: — “Castlebar, Oct. 4. — Last Thursday night, a most splendid Ball and Supper was given by Colonel Sturt, and the Officers of the 39th Regiment of Foot, to a numerous assemblage of rank, beauty, and fashion. We have seldom had the opportunity of mentioning a circumstance which reflects higher honour on any regiment stationed here, or confers a more lasting compliment.” — Source: Saunders’s News-Letter, 7 Oct. 1819.

Inspection at Castlebar, Nov. 1819: — “On Thursday last the 39th Regiment was inspected in Castlebar, by Major-General O’Loughlin, who was well pleased with their appearance.” — Source: Saunders’s News-Letter, 9 Nov. 1819.

Frightful accident at the gaol in Castlebar, Nov. 1819: — “Castlebar, Nov. 18.—A frightful accident occurred at the gaol of this town, which, we fear, has been attended by the loss of two lives at least. The roof of the uppermost of three arched halls, consisting of new work not yet finished, and in the completion of which several men were employed, gave way, and in its fall, bore down both the centre and lower floors. Three men, who were precipitated from above, have been seriously injured—one, we believe, mortally; the other has had a leg broken. A man named John Connor, who is supposed to have been in the lower hall at the time of the crash, is consequently believed to be buried under the great heap of ruins, in clearing away which a party of the 39th regiment, who were promptly brought to the spot by Major Browne, of Breary, are now actively employed. The unfortunate man (Connor,) who was confined under a charge of keeping forcible possession, was yesterday, we understand, offered his liberty, if he would procure bail of almost any description; but he preferred, we are told, remaining where he was.” — Source: Saunders’s News-Letter, 23 Nov. 1819.

Intended removal of the regiment to Dublin, May 1820: — “The 39th Regiment, quartered at Castlebar, expect a route for this city [Dublin], in the course of this month.” — Source: Freeman’s Journal, 9 May 1820.

Fatal affair at Donemona, May 1820: — “Castlebar, May 29.—A fatal affair took place on Friday last, at the fair of Donemona, within five miles of this town. As it is probable the affair will be investigated before a civil or military tribunal, or perhaps both, we hesitate to make any impression respecting it, beyond what a mere statement of the facts may create. A party of the 39th regiment, consisting of an officer, a serjeant, and ten men, were marched hence to preserve order at the fair. Towards the close of the day their arms were piled for a while, and in charge of a sentinel, when an altercation arose between a soldier and a countryman, in the course of which the latter received a prod of a bayonet from the former. A conflict immediately commenced, and two soldiers were speedily knocked down, and severely wounded. A constable, named Leary, in the employment of E.H. Lynch, Esq., of Clogher House, advanced to the protection of the wounded soldiers, whose officer at this time, observing an enraged mob bearing down upon them, found it necessary to order his little party to fire, two at a time, as we are informed. The first shots unfortunately took effect, and the constable fell dead on the spot, having received two bullets in his body. A ball afterwards passed through the chest of a young man named Kimlin, and another broke his arm. He is in the County Hospital, and is likely to do well. Two or three persons, we understand, were also wounded, but not dangerously. J. Burke, Esq. held an Inquest on the body of the deceased, Leary. D. Browne, Esq., M.P., was Foreman, and several other very respectable Gentlemen were on the Jury. They have declared the killing of the man to be accidental, and the firing of the shots, by the soldiers, an act of self-defence against the mob; but they do not by any means exculpate the soldier who first used his bayonet. We cannot help regretting that so small a party of the military should have been employed on the occasion; if any were necessary, at so large a meeting, ten were too few; for, if the turbulence were meditated, (which we hope was not the case,) such a display would rather encourage than prevent it. The serjeant’s halberd, and two or three of the soldiers’ muskets, were taken from them, and broken in the affray. The Officers of the 39th Regiment have made a subscription for the family of Leary.—Mayo Constitution.” — Source: Saunders’s News-Letter, 1 June 1820.

Departure of the regiment for Dublin, Aug. 1820: — “The 39th Regiment left Castlebar on Tuesday for Dublin. They are replaced by the 78th, from Athlone.” — Source: Saunders’s News-Letter, 12 Aug. 1820.

Arrival at Cork from Dubin, via Kilkenny, Mar. 1821: — “On Thursday, the remainder of the 39th regiment arrived in Kilkenny, from Dublin, and proceeded next day on their rout [sic] for Cork, where they are to embark for New South Wales and Bengal.” — Source: Freeman’s Journal, 21 Mar. 1821.

Occupation of military stations in county Cork, Mar. 1821: — “Nearly the entire of the 39th Regiment are detached from Cork to occupy the cantonments in that County of the 10th Veteran Battalion, ordered to be reduced.” — Source: Saunders’s News-Letter, 20 Mar. 1821.

Disturbances in county Clare, Nov. 1821: — “The following is an extract of a letter from Six Mile-bridge:
   “Sunday night a number of men, consisting of 200, armed with fire-arms, sledges, and iron bars, attacked the toll-house of Rossmanaher, forced the doors and back windows, demanding a blunderbuss and other fire-arms, and being informed that the blunderbuss belonged to Captain D’Alton, and that it was only brought from Limerick and sent to Rosscastle, they immediately proceeded towards Rosscastle, where the yeomanry arms are deposited. On their arrival at the fair place of Rossmanaher, near Colonel O’Brien’s, they were challenged by a small party of Major Warburton’s police, and not answering the pass-word, were immediately fired on by the police, which was returned by the banditti, without effect. The police kept up a constant fire, which made the ruffians retire in double quick time, supporting two of their party who had been shot dead, and assisting others who had been wounded. Major Warburton was at the town of Six-mile-bridge, with the police and some of the 93d regiment. Had they attacked Rosscastle, from the strength of the place, and the difficulty of getting up to the castle, there would have been a number of them shot, as Captain D’Alton was well prepared. The county of Clare is indebted to Major Warburton for the number of proper men who compose his establishment; and if co-operated with by the well-disposed, bids defiance to any cowardly banditti. An officer’s party of the 93d regiment is now stationed at Six-mile-bridge.
   “Tuesday night, at 12 o’clock, a detachment of the 39th regiment, consisting of a captain, lieutenant, ensign, and 50 men, left Limerick for the purpose of searching the neighbourhood of Cratloe, for some of the wounded men in the above affair. Though the most diligent search was made throughout that district of country, no trace of any wounded persons could be found. The detachment returned at 8 o’clock on Wednesday morning.” — Source: Evening Mail, 7 Nov. 1821.

March to Tralee, Nov. 1821: — “Tralee, Nov. 24.—A detachment of the 39th Regiment, commanded by Lieut.-Colonel Packe, have marched into this town to relieve the 33d, ordered to Cork, to embark for the West Indies. This town will be the head-quarters of the 39th. Part of the present detachment is to move on to Dingle.— Kerry Evening Post.” — Source: Saunders’s News-Letter, 30 Nov. 1821.

Deserters flee to Peru, Jan. 1822: — “Three of the band of the 39th Regiment have deserted, and taken with them several of the musical instruments belonging to the regiment, and though the most vigilant search has been made after them, they have escaped in a vessel which lately sailed from Cork for Lima.” — Source: Dublin Weekly Register, 12 Jan. 1822.

Arrest of “Captain Rock” near Tralee, Jan. 1822: — “Tralee, Jan. 16.—Captain Rock, of the barony of Corkaguinny, who was taken at the head of a detachment of White Boy cavalry, on Sunday night, by Francis Eagar, Esq., of Minard, was escorted to this town yesterday by a party of the 39th regiment from Bingle [Dingle]. This deluded man, named Denis Cleuvane, was brought forward bare-footed and barelegged. It is said he excused himself to the Magistrate, on the occasion of his being taken, by saying that he was only proceeding with his squadron on the above night, with the intention of depriving a man who had served him with a process, of the original.” — Source: Morning Post, 23 Jann. 1822.

Desperate attack on the Kerry Mail-Coach, Jan. 1822: — “(From the Cork Morning Intelligencer, of Saturday last.) — The alarm created in this City, as mentioned in our last, in consequence of the several and contradictory rumours rapidly arriving from the western part of the county, of the increasing organization of the peasantry, and the engagements which had taken place between them and the military and Magistrates, was considerably increased on Thursday evening, by the non-arrival of the Mail-coach from Kerry, at the usual hour, for which crowds had been waiting with anxious solicitude. After some hours had elapsed without any appearance of the coach, the most serious construction was naturally put upon so unusual a circumstance, and reports of a still more alarming nature were soon in general circulation. At about one o’clock on Friday morning, however, all uncertainty and suspense were removed by the arrival of express messengers, bringing letters for General Sir John Lambert, and other public authorities, partly confirming the apprehensions that had been entertained of the extremity to which the deluded peasantry had resorted in their lawless designs, as briefly stated in the following letter, from the Agent of the Mail Coach Company at Macroom:—-
   “‘Macroom, Jan. 24.—I am sorry to have such melancholy news to inform you of. The coach which left Cork this morning, was attacked at Carrigaginni, about five miles from the town, on the road to Mill-street, by the Whiteboys. The guard is severely wounded, and also the coachman, who was stabbed in the side, but I should hope his will not prove serious—the coach was thrown into a boghole, and I am told the wheel horses are cut in several places, and they have taken one of the leaders away, the other has been brought in here. The soldiers and gentlemen had a regular engagement——several of the Whiteboys been killed and wounded, and eighteen have been brought prisoners to Macroom. You had better to have a double guard on the coach to-morrow morning leaving Cork.’
   “Immediately on receipt of this very alarming intelligence, Sir John Lambert issued orders, and at an early hour yesterday morning, two detachments of troops, cavalry and infantry, left this City for Macroom, which he shortly followed himself, with the intention, we understand, of returning in the afternoon. The public anxiety also became, if possible, more eager for further particulars, and so intense, as the day advanced, that almost all idea of business was suspended; the infatuated conduct of the insurgents being the only theme of conversation or interest among all ranks.
   “At about four o’clock, however, the agitation was considerably abated by the arrival of the Kerry Coach due on Thursday evening, which had been prudently stopped at Mill-street, by Mr. Wallis, of Drishane, on learning the attack that had been made on the other. The coach had also been attacked at the same place yesterday, though well guarded by military, who returned the fire of the assailants, but no injury was done on either side, and it is satisfactory to add, that the peasantry appeared to be dispersing, we trust, fully impressed with compunction for their atrocious conduct, and the folly and wickedness of their proceedings, of which we shall give accurate details in our next, from the most authentic sources. Meantime, to satisfy the natural anxiety of the Public, we annex the substance of letters already received, but which being written hastily, may be in some points erroneous. From these it appears, that the coach which left this City on Thursday morning for Tralee, was stopped, as already stated, four miles to the West of Macroom, by a large party of Whiteboys who had collected in great force on the mountains in that neighbourhood; immediately on the intelligence of which, R. Hedges Eyre, Esq., with his usual activity, accompanied by other Magistrates and Gentlemen, with a military party of Carbineers, the 11th Regiment and the Rifle Brigade, under the command of a Field Officer, proceeded to the place, and after a smart engagement, in which not only Mr. H. Eyre and his party, but the Insurgents themselves, who are variously reported to have consisted of from six or seven hundred, to as many thousands, behaved with great intrepidity and spirit, the latter were completely routed, with the loss of several killed and wounded, and twenty-one prisoners, who have been safely lodged in the Castle of Macroom, whence they will be removed to the County Gaol. None of Mr. Hedges Eyre’s party were at all injured. Two of the insurgent’s bodies were taken into the town of Macroom, but were not recognized.
   “Authentic intelligence, we sincerely regret to announce, reached town at a late hour last evening, confirming the account already received, that while absent on his magisterial duty, which no man could discharge more zealously or efficiently, the house of James Barry, Esq., of Kilbarry, near Inchegelagh, from which he had fortunately removed his family to Macroom, was taken possession of on Thursday, by a large party of the insurgents, who, it is feared, have since burned or otherwise destroyed it.” — Source: Public Ledger, 30 Jan. 1822.

Assault and robbery at Anhid near Croom, April 1824: — “A few nights ago, a party with white shirts, outside their clothes, attacked the house of John Griffin, at Anhid, near Croom, and demanded admittance, which being refused, they broke into the house, and beat Griffin in the most unmerciful manner. Griffin, however, escaped to Croom, whence he returned bringing with him a party of Police, and some of the 39th Regiment, who succeeded in apprehending John Daly, a noted offender, in the act of robbing the house; the other two effected their escape. The Magistrates in Petty Sessions committed Daly to the County gaol.” — Source: Westmeath Journal, 8 April 1824.

Fields turned up at Knockaney, county Limerick, April 1824: — “On Wednesday night, two fields, containing five acres of pasture ground, were maliciously turned up on the lands of Knockaney, in this County, the property of a man named Burns; there can be no particular reason assigned for the outrage, but that the owner refused to let it out for gardens. On Captain Dumas being informed of the circumstance, he immediately proceeded to the spot, accompanied by his Police and a party of the 39th Regiment, and, for a mile round, collected all the inhabitants, amounting to over 200, and made them replace every sod before he quitted the field.” — Source: Dublin Evening Mail, 23 April 1824.

Anticipated removal to Naas, county Kildare, July 1824: — “The 39th Regiment, quartered in Limerick, expect a rout [sic] for Naas.” — Source: Enniskillen Chronicle, 14 July 1824.

Removal to Buttevant, county Cork, Aug. 1824: — “The 39th Regiment, quartered in Limerick, are to proceed to Buttevant, to replace the 22d, ordered to Dublin.” — Source: Dublin Evening Mail, 30 Aug. 1824.

Riot at Abbeyfeale, Sept. 1824: — “Riot at Abbeyfeale.—On Sunday last two noted factions, who have hitherto disturbed the peace of that neighbourhood, concentrated their respective forces, preparatory to a general engagement, when, after some —?idary [incendiary?] exhibitions, which occurred the Sunday before, they made their appearance in hundreds in the town of Abbeyfeale, for the purposes of what is styled putting an end to the business. Lieutenant Cox, of the 39th regiment, and the detachment under his command, attended by Patrick Hayes, Esq. and a Police Constable, having heard of these preparations, very judiciously arranged matters for the safety of the barrack and the prevention of such lawless proceedings.
   “About four o’clock, p.m. both parties having come in contact, at the twinkling of an eye stones flew like hail, so that the sentinel and army were obliged to retire for safety from before the door of the barrack, where they were previously drawn up, on which the Officer ordered the party to load and advance towards the centre of the town, where the combatants were then fully engaged; a few shots were fired over their heads, in order to intimidate the rioters to dispurse [sic], but all was in vain; several of the soldiers having at that period received wounds from stones, and one of them being knocked down, on his recovery perceiving one of the rioters in the act of throwing a stone, called out to him to desist and surrender himself, which the other refused, and when in the act of making off the soldiers fired and shot the rioter through the body, of which he died the next morning. His name is John David Roche [Rocke?], a man of about 25 years of age, of uncommon strength and size, and was a principal in the prosecution of the Leahys, for the dilapidation of the barrack at Abbeyfeale, in which he himself was an active partaker. There were fifteen of both parties taken by the military, who were the most active agents in the riot, and transmitted to Newcastle Bridewell.” — Source: Morning Post, 14 Sept. 1824.
Addendum: — “Lieutenant Colonel Parke, of the 39th Regiment, left Limerick for Abbeyfeale, on Thursday last, to investigate and inquire into the circumstances of the late and unfortunate riot at that town. It is reported that another of the rioters has since died.” — Source: Westmeath Journal, 16 Sept. 1824.

Departure for Chatham, Aug.– Sept. 1825: — “Change of Stations in Ireland. … The 39th Regiment of Infantry has arrived at Cork, for embarkation for Chatham.” — Source: Morning Post, 3 Aug. 1825.
… and also: — “A Detachment belonging to the 39th Regiment of Foot embarked, on the 9th inst. at Dublin, for England, on the Recruiting Service.” — Source: Morning Chronicle, 30 Aug. 1825.
… and also: — “The 39th Regiment will embark at Cove for Chatham in a few days; transports are on their way to Cork for that purpose.” — Source: Belfast Commercial Chronicle, 12 Sept. 1825.
… and also: — “One hundred and seventy men, of the 39th Regiment, under the command of Major M’Pherson, embarked, on Tuesday, on board the Hope transport s, [sic] at Cove, for Chatham, from whence they will embark for their ultimate destination, New South Wales.” — Source: Dublin Morning Register, 23 Sept. 1825.

Malicious burning at Clogheen Milcoln, Sept. 1825: — “Last night, about the hour of 12 o’clock, the haggart of Mr. Furlong Smith, who acts as agent to, and is tenant of St. John Jefferies, Esq. on the lands of Clogheen Milcoln, near Blarney, was maliciously set on fire by some incendiaries. The family were in bed, when Mr. Smith’s servant man saw the blaze through the crevice of the window, upon which he went out and found the entire haggart, containing eighteen stacks of corn, the produce of forty acres of land, all in a blaze, which it was impossible to extinguish. There was a smart breeze of wind at the time, which, fortunately, blew in a direction from the dwelling-house, by which it was saved from destruction; but all the corn, the out-houses, consisting of cow-house, stable, barn, and milk-house, were entirely consumed, together with a but [sic] of hay containing from forty to fifty tons.—A meeting, we understand, will be held in Blarney to-morrow, in order to take measures for discovering the perpetrators of this daring outrage.—The fire was distinctly seen from the New Barracks, from whence a party of the 39th regiment, under the command of Lieut. Leckie, repaired to the spot, but no trace of any person could be discovered. The Police stationed at Blarney, were there also, but the work must have been done many hours before it was discovered by the inhabitants of the place, as it was seen by travellers at three or four miles distance from Mallow.” — Source: Southern Reporter, 8 Sept. 1825.

Source reference :

All transcripts of news articles for the 39th Dépôt at Chatham, 1825–1839, by Alison Kilpatrick from digital images online at The British Newspaper Archive (accessed 29th Oct. 2015).

Notice re: transcripts for the 39th Regiment in Ireland, 1819–1825 :

Refer to Ethical Use of Transcripts or Extracts and to Appeal for Common Courtesy on this site.

Not-for-profit: — None or no part of these transcripts or extracts may be copied, transmitted, or reproduced for profit or for gain, in any medium, including websites that ask for donations, feature advertisements, or link directly or indirectly to any commercial concern. You may reproduce a transcript or extract only for private and not-for-profit purposes, citing the title of the newspaper and using the “Sample Source Citation for this Page,” below. If you have questions about usage or wish to ask permission to reproduce, please send your question to the editor of Arborealis via the Contact page.

Some news articles contain language and characterizations which were in common use at the time the articles or stories were written, but which are no longer acceptable. These articles do not reflect the opinions of the transcriber or website owner.

Sample source citation :

Southern Reporter, 18 Mar. 1821. [“Insert title of article.”] Transcript by Alison Kilpatrick. Online at News transcripts for the 39th Dépôt at Chatham, 1825–1839; hosted by Arborealis,, accessed [Insert date of access].

End notes :

Source citation for this page: — Kilpatrick, Alison. “Transcripts for the 39th Regiment of Foot in Ireland, 1819–1825.” Online at Arborealis,, accessed [insert date of access].

Re-use of any part of these transcripts and extracts is subject to providing attribution (credit to the transcriber) with an appropriate source citation and link back to Arborealis, as per our Ethical use and Appeal for common courtesy statements.

Updated 29th Oct. 2023.