The transcripts from British Army service and discharge records presented on Arborealis pertain to Alison Kilpatrick’s family history research interests. This page serves as an index for the following service files:
- John Burke (1795–1839) of Claremorris, county Mayo; regimental tailor, 39th Foot
- James Burke (1829–1860) of Gillingham, Kent; Drum Major and Private, 39th Foot
- Burkes of Claremorris and environs in the British Army
- Charles Hodder (c.1805–1860) of Croydon, Surrey; Private, 3rd (Buffs) Regiment
- John Joseph Huggins (1816–1876) of Caledon, county Tyrone; Colour Sergeant, St Helena & 54th Regiments (pending)
- Samuel John Huggins (1864–1922) of Winchester, Hampshire; Royal Regiment of Artillery; Lance Corporal, Somerset Light Infantry (Prince Albert’s); Corporal, Army Reserve (pending)
- William Henry Huggins (1859–1889) of Barnet, Middlesex; Sergeant, 13th Regiment (Somerset Light Infantry) (pending)
- and others, in due course …
A few notes about these transcripts:
- Please cite your sources. Following is an example of an appropriate source citation:
British Army Service Records, 1760–1915. “John Burke (b.1795) of Claremorris, county Mayo; Private, 39th Regiment of Foot.” Original record held by The National Archives (Kew, Surrey); archival ref. WO 97/551/9. Transcribed by Alison Kilpatrick, 2012-03-25; hosted online at Arborealis arborealis.ca, accessed [insert date of access].“
- Important notice:—These transcripts may not be copied, transmitted, or reproduced for profit or for gain in any medium including websites that ask for donations, feature advertisements, or link directly or indirectly to any commercial concern. This rule applies to websites or any other medium with commercial interests, whether entrepreneurial, charitable, or educational in intent, and no matter how small the benefit, monetary or otherwise. Please use our contact page to forward questions, suggestions, or requests for permissions to the Editor.
Begging our readers’ patience while these pages are re-posted to the new Arborealis website.
Source citation for this page: — Kilpatrick, Alison. Index page for transcripts from military service records. Online at Arborealis, arborealis.ca/records/military/british-army/, accessed [insert date of access].
Image credit: — Top of Attestation form for John Burke (1795–1839 of Claremorris, county Mayo; regimental tailor, 39th Regiment of Foot. Source: British Army Service Records 1760–1915. John Burke, Claremorris, county Mayo (1795–1839). Original record: National Archives, London, England; archival ref. ref. WO97/551/9. Digital images held online by FindMyPast™ (accessed 2012-03-25, and transcribed by Alison Kilpatrick).