The objective of this page is to present extracts of the British Army service records for Burke individuals of Claremorris and the parish of Kilcoman (Clanmorris) in the county of Mayo. Please note that where the place of birth was cited simply as “Kilcolman,” it is not known whether this meant the parish of Kilcolman in the barony of Clanmorris or that in the barony of Costello, or one of the townlands named Kilcolman in either of the baronies just cited.
The following extracts are ordered, first, by year of birth, and second, alphabetically.
- JAMES BURKE : b.1770–1772 of Kilcolman, county Mayo. At age thirty-three, attested at Cork for the 97th Regiment of Foot, for life, by Capt. Richardson, 11th May 1805; description: 5ft. 6in., fresh complexion, grey eyes, fair hair, round face; trade: none; discharged at Mullingar 26th May 1816 (diseased testicle). Discharge papers cite 10 years 351 days’ service in the 96th (Queen’s Own) Regiment of Foot from 9th June 1805 to 26th May 1816, aged forty-six years. 1 Description: 5 ft. 6 in. tall, fresh complexion, grey eyes, fair hair, round face; of no occupation; born at Kilcolman, county Mayo; attested at Cork on 11th May 1805 for life, aged twenty years. 2
- JOHN BURK : born c.1786 of Kilcolman, county Mayo. Description: 5 ft. 5 in. tall, swarthy complexion, grey eyes, dark hair, round face; occupation: labourer; attested to the 11th (Devonshire) Regiment of Foot at Chelsmford on 1st Dec. 1812. 3
- JAMES BURKE : b.1793 of Claremorris, county Mayo. Description: 5 ft. 4-1/2 in. tall, fresh complexion, grey eyes, brown hair, long face; age at enlistment: 20 years; occupation: labourer; attested at Clonmell [sic] [county Tipperary] on 10th June for life; unit: 88th Regiment of Foot (Connaught Rangers), 2nd Battalion. 4
This page is a work-in-progress.
- British Army Service Record. James Burke of Kilcolman, county Mayo, 96th Regiment of Foot, discharged in 1816. Record held by The National Archives (TNA), U.K.; archival ref. WO119: Kilmainham: Pensioners’ Discharge Documents, 1783–1822; Certificates of Service: Regiments on Irish Establishment; box 0034, piece A 9903 – A 10240, record no. 174. Digital images online at FindMyPast.co.uk. ↩︎
- Regimental Registers of Service, 1756–1900. James Burke of Kilcolman, county Mayo, born 1772. Original record: War Office and predecessors: Secretary-at-War, Secretary of State for War, and Related Bodies, Registers. WO 25/266–558, 632–634, 677–683, 686–688, 3913–3914, 5411-5516. Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies. The National Archives, Kew, Surrey, England. Archival ref. WO 25/541. Digital image online at Ancestry.ca (extract by Alison Kilpatrick, 8th Oct. 2023). ↩︎
- Regimental Registers of Service, op. cit. John Burk of Kilcolman, county Mayo, born c.1786. Extract by Alison Kilpatrick, 8th Oct. 2023. ↩︎
- Regimental Registers of Service, op. cit. James Burke of Claremorris, county Mayo, born 1793. Extract by Alison Kilpatrick, 8th Oct. 2023. ↩︎
End notes :
Source citation for this page: — Burkes of Claremorris and the Parish of Kilcolman [Clanmorris, county Mayo] in the British Army, 1798–1901. Extracts by Alison Kilpatrick ©2020, from War Office Service Records held by The National Archives (UK), Kew, Surrey. Online at Arborealis, arborealis.ca/records/military/british-army/burke-kilcolman/.
Sample source citation for individual extracts: — British Army. War Office Service Records. James Burke of Kilcoman, county Mayo, 96th Regiment of Foot. Record held by The National Archives (UK), Kew, Surrey. Archival ref. Box 0034, piece A 9903 – A 10240, record no. 174. Digital images online at FindMyPast.co.uk. Extract by Alison Kilpatrick ©2021. Online at Arborealis, arborealis.ca/records/military/british-army/burke-kilcolman/, accessed [Insert date of access].
Updated 29th Nov. 2023.