Logo and web site
      title
Home
Blog
Resources
Latest Additions About
Contact

Timeline for the parishes of Kilrea & Tamlaght O'Crilly, 15th century.

Please refer to Note and References at bottom of page.
Return to Kilrea & Tamlaght O'Crilly timeline front page.


Year
Events
Sources; Comments; Links
1369–1439
"[T]he Primate of Armagh, Archbishop Sweetman granted to Simon, Bishop of Derry, a lease of the Manor of Kilrea, at a rent of forty shillings together with sixty large eels and one thousand medium eels yearly." In 1439, the Archbishop's lease was amended to the receipt of sixty large and forty thousand medium eels per annum. "The lease to the Bishop of Derry was withdrawn in 1439." Account by Mr Bernard Fitzpatrick; cited in The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 86.

See also entry under 1439–1609, "From the registry of Primate Swayze, ..."
1410
A great famine in Ireland.
Famines of the World, by Walford (1879).
1430 – 1439
"The rent [of the Manor of Kilrea] was afterwards changed, for we find the Primate in 1430, Archbishop Swayne, receiving sixty large and forty thousand medium eels annually. The lease to the Bishop of Derry was withdrawn in 1439."
Account by Mr Bernard Fitzpatrick; cited in The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 86.
1433
Famine of great severity.
Famines of the World, by Walford (1879).
1400s
Ireland was not immune from the depredations of the Black Death, and the population of Kilrea and environs suffered many losses. The parishes of Drumagarner and Tamlaght O'Crilly were merged.
Research by Mrs Kathleen Gillen; cited in The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 81.
1400s
"[T]he monastery [at Kilrea] was occupied by the Franciscans and was called Father O'Dimon's monastery."
Research by Mrs Kathleen Gillen; cited in The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 81.
1439–1609 (1) At Kilrea, a parson and a vicar lived on two acres of Glebe land pertaining to the Abbey of SS. Peter and Paul of Armagh.
(2) Kylrey.--"The parish of Kilreagh, contayning ten balliboes, wherein are both a parson and a viccar presentative, and the presentation of the said parson and viccar for the space of 170 yeres past (i.e. since 1439), have appertayned to the abbott of Peter and Paule of Armagh, and likewise the tiethes were paid unto the said abbott and his predecessors."--The said abbott was seised "of and in the 4 towne lands called Killreaugh in possession of the herenagh O'Demon, and twoe parts of the tiethes thereof, and of and in all the tiethesof the fishinge for eeles near adjoyninge to the same, and also the 2 townlands called Monaghgrane."--Inq. To the same religious house belonged the 4 balliboes of Athgieve, now Agivey, an extraparochial district having a cemetery and ancient church, on the river Bann, north of Kilrea.--(O.S., 12.) From the registry of Primate Swayze, circ. 1430, it appears that the bishop of Derry was then a tenant of the see of Armagh in this parish: Dominus Primas percipit ab episcopo Derensi pro manerio de Kylree in episcopatu Derensi sl.s.; mille anguillas mediocres, et sexaginta grossas, per annum (fol.60a).
(1) Account by Mr Bernard Fitzpatrick; cited in The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 86; and, Kernohan (1912), pg. 6.
(2) Acts of Archbishop Colton (1850), pp. 75-76.
1447
Great famine in the spring.
Famines of the World, by Walford (1879).
1491
Great rain and floods all the summer, and such a famine that it was called "The Dismal Year."
Famines of the World, by Walford (1879).
1497
Intolerable famine throughout all Ireland--many perished.
Famines of the World, by Walford (1879).

Note: This timeline may not be copied, transmitted, or reproduced for profit or for gain--in whole or in part--in any medium, including web sites that ask for donations, feature advertisements, or link directly or indirectly to any commercial concern. You may reproduce a transcription only for private and not-for-profit purposes, citing the title of the newspaper, the date it was published, the name of the transcriber and this web site (A. Kilpatrick, www.arborealis.ca), and the date this web page was accessed. Please use our Contact page to forward questions or suggestions.

References:
  • Kilrea Local History Group. The Fairy Thorn: Gleanings and Glimpses of Old Kilrea; published by The Kilrea Local History Group. Coleraine: Impact Printing, 1984.
  • Kernohan, J.W. The Parishes of Kilrea and Tamlaght O'Crilly: A Sketch of Their History, With an Account of Boveedy Congregation. Coleraine: Chronicle Office, 1912. Transcribed by Barbara Braswell and Richard Torrens; posted to Richard Torrens' Bann Valley Genealogy web site, www.torrens.org.uk/Genealogy/Bann Valley/
  • Reeves, William. Acts of Archbishop Colton in his Metropolitan Visitation of the Diocese of Derry, A.D. MCCCXCVII, by William Reeves (Dublin, for the Irish Archaeological Society, 1850).
  • Walford, Cornelius. The Famines of the World: Past and Present. London: Edward Stanford, 1879.

© Alison Kilpatrick 2015