Claremorris and the parish of Kilcolman - Local history notes

"History is often embedded in town names.
No more so than Claremorris.
It derives its name from Maurice de Prendergast,
who arrived in Ireland with Strongbow in 1170 and
was later given a large portion of land in South Mayo.
The name in Irish is sweeter  – Clár Chloinne Mhuris –
which means the plain of Clann Mhuiris."
—Michael Mullen, in Mayo: The Waters and the Wild.
Donaghadee, N. Ireland: Cottage Publications, 2004, pg. 66.
Kilcolman: Cill Cholmáin, the church of Saint Colman.

Note: Until 1898, there were two parishes of the name, Kilcolman, in the county of Mayo: one in the barony of Clanmorris, and the other in the barony of Costello. The Local Government Act (Ireland) of 1898 transferred several parishes from the counties of Mayo and Galway to the county of Roscommon, including the parish of Kilcolman (Costello).

See also family history home page for Burke, or Bourke, of the parish of Kilcolman.

Return to Ireland - Local history notes index page.

❖          ❖          ❖

© Alison Kilpatrick, 2015. All rights reserved.
Copyright notice

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."—Lesley Poles Hartley (1895–1972), The Go-Between (1953).

E-mail   |   Subscribe to RSS feed   |   Subscribe to mailing list   |   Privacy statement   |   Site map

© Alison Kilpatrick 2014–2017. All rights reserved.