Primary Valuation - Glenarb, 1860

Source: Primary Valuation of Ireland, 1848–1864. Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, Belfast; and, National Archives, Dublin.

  The area of Glenarb comprised 191 acres, 2 roods, 0 perches; this included 6 acres 3 roods 15 perches allocated to the county Tyrone side of the river Blackwater which courses along the eastern boundary of the townland.

   The landlord and proprietor was the Earl of Caledon. In 1860, there were four tenants in the townland:

  1. Joseph M'Cleery; occupied House, offices, and land; 25 acres, 1 rood, 35 perches; Rateable Annual Valuation for Land £28 10s 0d, for Buildings £1 6s 0d; Total Annual Valuation of Rateable Property £29 15s 0d.
  2. Michael O'Neill; occupied House, offices, and land; 24 acres, 2 roods, 30 perches; Rateable Annual Valuation for Land £27 10s 0d, for Buildings £1 0s 0d; Total Annual Valuation of Rateable Property £28 10s 0d.
  3. David Wilkin; occupied House, offices, and land; 52 acres, 1 rood, 0 perches; Rateable Annual Valuation for Land £58 0s 0d, for Buildings £4 10s 0d; Total Annual Valuation of Rateable Property £62 10s 0d.
  4. Arthur M'Gee; occupied House, offices, and land; 82 acres, 1 rood, 0 perches; Rateable Annual Valuation for Land £96 0s 0d, for Buildings £6 0s 0d; Total Annual Valuation of Rateable Property £102 0s 0d.

  Thus, in 1860, a total of £222 15s in property cess was rated payable out of Glenarb townland, for the support of the Poor Law Union in the barony of Dungannon.

Go to Revision Book for 1864–1878.

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."—Lesley Poles Hartley (1895–1972), The Go-Between (1953).

E-mail   |   Subscribe to RSS feed   |   Subscribe to mailing list   |   Privacy statement   |   Site map

© Alison Kilpatrick 2014–2018. All rights reserved.