Everdon, Northamptonshire - Local history notes

Great and Little Everdon, with the Hamlet of Snorscomb.
  Great Everdon is a parish and large village, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Fawlsey, union, county court district and rural deanery of Daventry, archdeaconry of Northampton, and diocese of Peterborough, 4¼ miles south-south-east from Daventry, 3 north-west from the Weedon station of the London and North Western Railway, 11 south-west from Northampton, 9 north-north-west from Towcester, and 70 from London. The church of St. Mary is a handsome Gothic structure, and has a beautiful doorway in the Decorated style: It consists of a nave, chancel and tower with 5 bells and a clock. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly value £465, including 150 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Provost and Fellows of Eton College, and held by the Rev. Henry Luxmoore, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge. Here is a National school. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Independents. There are 16A. 2R. 18P. of land let in allotments to the poor, the rents of which are left for the repairs of the church bells and a bridge. Everdon Hall is a substantial stone building, situated amid beautiful surrounding scenery, and was built by the late General Doveton, and is now the residence of D.R. St. Paul, Esq., D.L. The Provost and Fellows of Eton College are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Sir Rainald Knightley, Bart., M.P., J. Rivolts, Esq., E. Farmer, Esq., R. Canning, Esq., Mr. S. Pepper, Mr. J. Bromwich, and Mr. J. Stockley. The soil is red marl and clay; subsoil, blue clay. The population in 1861 was 740; the area is 2,377 acres, consisting of arable and pasture; gross estimated rental of the whole parish, £5,323; rateable value, £4,719.
  Little Everdon is a tithing of Great Everdon, situated about a quarter of a mile from the village and 2¾ miles south-west from the Weedon station of the London and North Western Railway.
  Snorscomb is a hamlet of, and situated about three-quarters of a mile south from, the village of Great Everdon.
  Pillar Letter Box, cleared at 5.30 p.m. week days only. Letters through Daventry. The nearest money order office is at Weedon.
  Insurance Agent.--Lancashire Fire & Life, Sanders Pepper, Manor cottage.
  National School, Henry Carter, master.

  Carriers to:--

  • Daventry--Willis, daily, sunday [sic] excepted
  • Northampton--Bird & Wright, wednesday & saturday

Great Everdon.

  • Luxmoore Rev. Henry, M.A. (rector)
  • Pepper Mr. Sanders, Manor cottage
  • St. Paul David Richard, esq. J.P. & deputy-lieutenant for the counties of Northamptonshire & Leicestershire, Everdon hall

Commercial.

  • Ayres Winckles, farmer, Westcomb
  • Baseley Matthew, carpenter
  • Bird Benjamin, beer retailer
  • Bird John, wheelwright
  • Bird William, jun. miller & baker
  • Bliss Joseph, butcher
  • Bromwich James, farmer & landowner
  • Brown Thomas, farmer
  • Brown William, farmer
  • Burton Thomas, builder
  • Elliott Robert, baker
  • Freeman John, brick, tile & drain pipe manufacturer, & at Badby
  • Gudgeon Elisha, farmer
  • Hopcraft William, shopkeeper
  • Judkins William, shopkeeper
  • Longland Edmund, cattle dealer
  • Lee George, shopkeeper
  • Mann William, carpenter
  • Mountfort Thomas, farmer
  • Newcomb Thomas, shoe maker
  • Oliver Edmund, saddler
  • Oliver Samuel, machine maker
  • Osborne George, Plums of Feathers
  • Pepper Sanders, surveyor & land agent, & agent for the Lancashire Fire & Life Insurance Company, Manor cottage
  • Russell Catherine (Mrs.), farmer
  • Stockley John, farmer & landowner
  • Sutton William, tailor
  • War John, beer retailer
  • Willis George, carrier
  • Wills Joseph, beer retailer
  • Wright James, boot & shoe maker
  • Wright Joseph, shopkeeper

Little Everdon.

  • Payne Mr. John
  • Bromwich Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
  • Coates Sarah (Mrs.), cowkeeper
  • Goodman John, farmer
  • Smith Sarah Ann (Mrs.), farmer

Snorscomb.

  • Ayres James, cowkeeper
  • Mountfort John, miller

Source: Kelly, E.R., ed., The Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, and Oxfordshire (London: Kelly and Co., 1869), pp. 44-45.

  Everdon is a village and civil parish, 4 miles south-west from Weedon station on the main line of the North Western railway, 4¼ south-south-east from Daventry, and 12 south-west from Northampton, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Fawsley, Daventry petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Weedon, archdeaconry of Northampton and diocese of Peterborough. The church of St. Mary is a spacious building of stone in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, north and south porches, and a western tower with pinnacles containing a clock and 5 bells, recently repaired and dating from 1625-35: the beautiful south porch and doorway afford a rich example of the Decorated period: the chancel was partly restored and a new east window inserted about 1860, and is divided from the nave by a fine carved oak screen: there are tablets on the north wall to the Rev. George Rowney Green A.M. fellow of Eton College and 25 years rector of this parish, d. 19 April, 1860; Eleanor, his wife, d. 22 Aug. 1873; and to Charles Phillpotts Green R.N. their youngest son, d. off Rio de Janeiro, 27 March, 1851; also to John Hayes A.M. 17 years rector here, ob. 1806: in the south aisle is a monument with arms to Thomas Spencer esq. ob. 17 Aug. 1576, and Dorothy, his wife, daughter of Sir William Spencer, kt. ob. 14 Sept. 1575, erected by their daughter and co-heiress, Susannah Temple, in 1606: in the same aisle is a modern brass to David Richard St. Paul esq. J.P., D.L. of Everdon Hall, d. 28 Feb. 1886, erected by his three children: in 1891-92 the church was thoroughly restored and reseated with open oak benches, under the superintendence of Messrs. Bodley and Garner, architects, of London, and in 1906 a stained east window was presented by H. Hawkins esq. of Everdon Hall, as a memorial of the late Queen Victoria: a new organ has also been placed in the church: there are 400 sittings. The registers date from the year 1558, but are missing from 1637 to 1683. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £418, including 165 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Provost and Fellows of Eton College, and held since 1887 by the Rev. Frank Churchill B.A. of Worcester College, Oxford. The Congregational chapel, erected in 1813, is a plain edifice of brick, endowed with the interest on £500, left by Mr. William Folwell. The town land of 16a. 24. 28p. is let in allotments to the poor, the rents, now producing about £36 yearly, being assigned to the repairs of the church fabric and the bells. Mrs. Peacock, relict of Walter Anderson Peacock esq. left in 1876 £500 in trust to the rector and churchwardens to be invested in £3 per Cent. Consols, the interest to be given away in blankets, clothing and coats at Christmas to such poor persons as they shall think most deserving: the Rev. Sir John Knightley bart. rector of Byfield, left in 1812 £133 6s. 8d. the interest of which is for the support of the Church Sunday school. A religious house of the Benedictine order, belonging to the abbey of Bernay in Normandy, and founded before 1217, formerly stood here, at the entrance to the village, together with the manor and the patronage of the living, it passed into the hands of the crown in the reign of Henry V. The Old National school, erected in 1828, has been enlarged and restored, and is now used as a Church Sunday school and parish room; and is in the hands of the Diocesan Trustees. The Working Men's Club, founded in 1888, now occupies a building erected by Henry Hawkins esq. J.P. of Everdon Hall. The Provost and Fellows of Eton College are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Henry Hawkins esq. J.P. of Everdon Hall, Sir Charles Valentine Knightley bart. B.A., D.L., J.P. of Fawsley, and A.W. Marriott esq. of Perry Hill, Catford, Kent. The soil is red marl and clay; subsoil, blue clay. The area is 2,556 acres, of which three-fourths is rich pasture land; rateable value, £3,862; the population in 1901 was 456.
  Little Everdon is a tithing of Everdon, about a quarter of a mile north from the village and 2¾ miles south-west from the Weedon station of the London and North Western railway. Everdon Hall, a substantial mansion of brick, situated amid beautiful scenery, was built by the late General Doveton, and is now the property and residence of Henry Hawkins esq. J.P.
  Wall Letter Box cleared at 5.45 p.m. week days only.
  Snorscomb is a hamlet about three-quarters of a mile south from the village of Everdon.
  Sexton, Henry Carvell.
  Post, M. O. & T. Office.--William Sutton, sub-postmaster. Letters through Daventry arrive at 7.35 a.m. & 1.55 p.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. week days only.
  Police Station, Arthur Jepha King, constable.
  Public Elementary School (mixed), erected with master's house in 1877, at a cost of £1,640, for 100 children; average attendance, 93; Joseph Fogell, master; Mrs. Emily Fogell, infants' mistress.
  Carriers to:--Daventry, William Brown, wed. & sat.; Northampton, Clement Wills, wed. & sat.

Great Everdon.
  Private Residents.

  • Allen Mrs.
  • Arnold William, The Bungalow
  • Barrett Miss
  • Bliss Mrs
  • Churchill Rev. Frank B.A. Rectory
  • Tate Josiah

Commercial.

  • Arnold Anthony, boot maker
  • Arnold William, farmer
  • Balderson Mary E. (Mrs.), farmer
  • Bird Richard John, baker, miller (water) & assistant overseer
  • Bodily Fanny (Mrs.), builder & contractor
  • Brown Charles, farmer
  • Brown James, farmer
  • Chapman Walt. Plum of Feathers P.H.
  • Cross William Charley, Plough P.H.
  • Fennell Albert, shopkeeper
  • Gilkes William, beer retailer
  • Goodman William, farmer & grazier, White House farm
  • Great Everdon Club & Institute (Hy. Hawkins esq. J.P. president)
  • Hopcraft Austin, baker
  • Hopcraft Frederick, farmer
  • Hopcraft John, farmer
  • Hopcraft Mary E. (Mrs.), shopkeeper
  • Hurley John William, farmer
  • Newberry Robt. frmr. Westcombe frm [sic]
  • Smith William, butcher & beer retlr
  • Sutton William, Post office
  • Tate John, thrashing machine owner
  • Tift Thomas, blacksmith
  • Wareing Herbert G. beer retailer
  • Wills Clement, carrier
  • Witts Thomas (exors. of), farmers

Little Everdon.

  • Hawkins Henry J.P. Everdon hall. T N 33 Daventry
  • Allwood Ernest Alfred, stud groom to Henry Hawkins esq. J.P.
  • Harding Henry Elliott, gardener to Henry Hawkins esq. J.P.
  • Heckford Wm. farmer, The Limes
  • Sowels William Clowes, land stewart to Henry Hawkins esq. J.P. T N 33X Daventry

Snorscomb.

  • Bach Edwd. farmer & miller (water)
map_of_daventry_and_area2

Click on the map to see a larger version in a new window.

Source: Fragment of O.S. sheet 133 - Northampton (scale 1:63360), published by Ordnance Survey of Great Britain, New Popular Edition series, with national grid (1945); hosted by A Vision of Britain Through Time (accessed 2014-07-10).

Return to England - Local history notes index page.

❖          ❖          ❖

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."—Lesley Poles Hartley (1895–1972), The Go-Between (1953).

E-mail   |   Subscribe to RSS feed   |   Subscribe to mailing list   |   Privacy statement   |   Site map

© Alison Kilpatrick 2014–2017. All rights reserved.