Early Joneses in north Armagh

The Jones families of the parish of Drumcree may, or may not, be related to any of the Jones individuals mentioned below.

Please note that no connection has been found between the Jones lines described on this page and the Jones family of Derryanvil, parish of Drumcree.

1629 –Johes. Jones, admiss. fuit, 17° die Aug. 1629, rector de Seigoe, in com. Armagh. Non. taxat.” (extracted from the First Fruits’ records).
… Source: Mason, William Shaw. A Statistical Account, or Parochial Survey of Ireland. Vol. II. Dublin: Hibernia-Press Office, 1816 (pg. 535).

1641-02-08 – Ulster Depositions, county Armagh:

     Deposition of Philip Taylor late of Portadown. Co.Armagh.
   Philip Taylor late of the Portadown in the County of Armagh,
   husbandman sworn, saith that about the 24th of October last,
   he ... was taken prisoner at Portadown ... by Toole McCann
   now of Portadown gent., a notorious rebel and commander of
   a great number of rebels together with those rebels his
   soldiers, to the number of one hundred persons or thereabouts.

     At which time the rebels first took the castle, and
   victualled the same, then they assaulted and pillaged the
   town, and burned all the houses on the further side of the
   water. And then the said rebels drowned a great number of
   English Protestants of men, women and children in this
   deponent’s sight, some with their hands tied on their backs.

     And saith that the number of them that were then so
   drowned amounted, as this deponent was credibly told and
   believeth to a number of one hundred and ninety six persons.
   And the said rebels then also threatened to shoot to death
   one Mr. Tiffin a zealous Protestant Minister there, and
   discharged a [sic] piece at him accordingly, but as it
   please God they missed him and at length he escaped from
   them. And further saith that the said rebels kept this
   deponent in prison at Portadown aforesaid for the space
   of seven weeks and set a horse lock upon his leg but at
   length he got a pass from the said Toole McCann and so got
   away from them. The whilst he stayed there, many poor
   Protestants were by the rebels murdered in several places
   about Loughgall foresaid. And they also at that time
   stripped of his clothes one Mr. Jones a Minister at Segoe
   near Portadown
... who afterwards escaped from them to the
   town of Lisnegarvy. And this deponent hath credibly heard
   that one Mr. Fullerton a Minister and another in his
   company were also murdered by the rebels before the
   drowning of the Protestants aforesaid ...

   … Source: Trinity College Library, Dublin. 1641 Depositions
   Project
. Online at www.1641.tcd.ie.

1657 – John Jones was Commonwealth Minister at Mullabrack for some time. He had been minister at Seagoe. … Source: Leslie, James B. Armagh Clergy and Parishes: being an account of the clergy of the Church of Ireland in the Diocese of Armagh, from the earliest period, with historical notices of the several parishes, churches, &c. Dundalk: William Tempest, 1911.

For a genealogical outline of this family, please refer to the end of this section.

1635 – Mr. Moris [sic] held 200 acres English statute measure, and Mr. Jones* 115 acres, in Kilmargett townland, later known as Silverwood. *probably William. Source: Gillespie, R.G. Settlement and Survival on an Ulster Estate: The Brownlow Leasebook 1667–1711. Belfast: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, 1988.

1648ff William Jones witnessed numerous deeds perfected for leases in the Brownlow estate. Other Joneses who acted as witnesses included Thomas (1648), David, John (1659), Brownlowe Jones (1672), and Elinor (1677).  [Gillespie]

1657 – Birth of Brownlow Jones, son of Capt. William Jones and Elinor Chamberlain.  Source: Paterson, T.G.F. “The Chamberlains of Nizelrath” (continued from Vol. X, p. 326), “Notes on the allied families of Clinton, Aston, O’Doherty and Brownlow.” Journal of the County of Louth Archaeological Society, Vol. XI, No. 3 (1947).

1659 – William Jones was enumerated by Pender’s Census, with other tituladoes for the parish of Shankell [Shankill], including Sir William Bromloe [Brownlow] Knight, Fulke Mart Esqr, Will Draper, Alexander Gill, Richard Bromloe, John Realy, John Burne, John Barnes, Cuth: Harrison & Wrighton Taylor and Lawrence Swarbricke, gent. This portion of the parish contained 344 people, 242 of whom were English and Scotts, the remaining 102 being Irish. The other portion of the parish included 396 people, 251 of whom were English and Scotts, and the remainder were Irish. Source: Pender, Séamus, ed. A Census of Ireland, circa 1659. Dublin: The Stationery Office, 1939. Online at The Irish Manuscripts Commission (Dublin), www.irishmanuscripts.ie (accessed 2016-09-24).

1665 – Captain William Jones leased "all that the town and lands of Kanegoe [Kinnegoe, parish of Shankill] with the appurtenances to Aghlie mcAghlie, cormuck mcShane, Owen mcCarten, etc." [Gillespie]

1666-04 – A lease in part of Clanrolla (Lissacorran) townland, 6 acres at 4s. per acre, and part of Lissacorran [Liscorran, parish of Shankill], 11 acres at 3s. 2d. per acre, demised to John Ray for the lives of William Jones, Elinor Jones and Brownlowe Jones; and also 1 acre more of Lissacorran at 3s. 2d.; total yearly rent, £3 2s with house boot, etc.; with a note [by?] Arthur Brownlow in tenant's note  £3.02s.00d. Memorandum re: "a dayes ploweing or 2s. 6d. blotted out  Q. de hoc.” [Gillespie] ☛ Elinor Jones was Arthur Brownlow’s sister. William Jones was her husband and Brownlow Jones, her son.

1666 – A lease in part of Taberhewnie [parish of Shankill], c.13 acres, demised to William Jones durante bene placito, yearly rent £10 6s. [Gillespie]

1667 – A half year's rent roll of the town of Lurgan and other lands adjoining, dated 1 October 1667, included:

  • Captain [William] Jones [no amount cited]
  • Mercer and Jones [no amount cited]
  • Morgan Jones his land (formerly Crooks) Lurganitarry [Lurgantarry] 31a. 2r.
  • Kilnargett 200a. English Mrs. (?) Moris, Mrs. Jones 115.

Source: PRONI (Belfast), e-Catalogue entry, ref. T970/120.

1668 – A lease in part of Clanrolla, 14 acres (and 1 rood Irish measure) demised to Robert Chambers for 21 years from 1 May 1664, yearly rent £2 18s 6d, "payeable at May and Alsaints and a fatt goose to Captain Jones, distress reentrie and nomine poenae 2nd." July 1668. Witnesses included William Blackhall, James Bullagh, James Jamison, and Captain Jones. Expired. [Gillespie]

1670 – John Jones, clerk and attorney to Arthur Brownlow, one of the witnesses to a lease demised to Jane Porter in the Brownlow estate. [Gillespie]

1672 – Lease to Morgan Jones for the woods and royalties in Lurgan Itarry [Lurgantarry], parish of Shankill, on the Brownlow estate. [Sources: (i) Gillespie; and (ii) PRONI ref. T970/76, pg. 76.]

1672-10-06 – Renewal of leases held by William Jones, gent., of Clanrolla, parish of Shankill, including that demised by Arthur Brownlow alias Chamberlain in Killenarge [Kilmargett, or Silverwood]. The PRONI’s e-Catalogue entry reveals a typical covenant agreed to be a gentleman lessee, and much about the anti-Irish feeling prevailing at the time:

     Lease for five lives, rent £27. Suit of court and mill.
   Covenants include the building within seven years of ‘a
   sufficient English house' 40 feet long at least, walls 12
   feet high of lime and stone with one or more chimneys of
   brick or stone; also to well shingle or plank the roof
   and plant an orchard at least 30 fruit trees i.e. apple,
   plum, cherry or pear trees and within 9 years to ditch and
   quickset the highway leading through the premises and also
   his proportion of the outbounds of the premises, with
   whitethorn quicksets; to ditch and quickset all arable land
   and meadows planting one ash, oak or sycamore per perch; to
   do his best to preserve 'all the saplin oakes now growing
   .....' and not to alien 'to any but to one that is of a
   british race or descent' and not even to any of these until
   the lessor has first offer.

The term of the lease was given for the lives of Captain William Jones, Elinor his wife, Brownlowe Jones, Rath [or Roth] alias William Jones, and Arthur Jones, his sons. Sources: (i) Gillespie; and (ii) PRONI ref. D1835/36, Magenis family, 1672–1909.

1673 – Captain William Jones surrendered his lease in Clanrolla on making the lease in Kilmargett. [Gillespie]

1681-04-01 – Burial of Capt. William Jones, husband of Elinor Chamberlain.

1683-11-08 – Marriage of Anne Jones to Patrick Morris of Silverwood, parish of Shankill. [Paterson]

1696 – Marriage of Lettice Aston née Jones (her second), daughter of Capt. William Jones and Elinor Chamberlain, to Thomas Morris of Mountjoy, county Tyrone. The issue of the marriage included a son, William Morris, “who assumed the surname of Jones on inheriting the property of his uncle, Roth Jones.”
☛ This is the marriage from which ensued the Hamilton Jones branch of Moneyglass, county Antrim.

1700 – Mrs. Jones demised a lease in one half of Ballenemony [Ballynamony] townland in the parish of Seagoe (excepting Thompson’s fourteen acres), to George and Simon Huit. [Gillespie]

1728 – Lease given in Killenerget [Kilmargett, or Silverwood], parish of Seagoe, for the lives of William Morris Jones, Clotworthy O’Neil, and Solomon Morris.
Source: PRONI. Freeholders records. Ref. D1928/F/1A. apps.proni.gov.uk

Genealogical outline of the Brownlow= and Morris=Jones connections:
… as provided by T.G.F. Paterson in “The Chamberlains of Nizelrath” (continued from Vol. X, p. 326), “Notes on the allied families of Clinton, Aston, O’Doherty and Brownlow.” Journal of the County of Louth Archaeological Society, Vol. XI, No. 3 (1947).

John Brownlow of Nottingham was granted a middle proportion of land, called Doughcorn, in the barony of Oneilland in 1610.

His son, William Brownlow, was granted the adjoining proportion of Ballynemoney [in the parish of Seagoe]. William was knighted in 1622. He married Elinor, daughter of John Dogherty of Derry, county Londonderry.

Their third child and second daughter, Elinor (d.1720), married Capt. William Jones (d.1681) of Lurgan. The issue of the second marriage included:

  • Brownlow Jones (1657–1678);
  • Roth (alias William) Jones (d.1725);
  • Arthur Jones;
  • Henry Jones (d.1681);
  • Eliza Jones (d.1678);
  • Lettice Jones, who married (1) William Aston, and (2) in 1696 Thomas Morris of Mountjoy, county Tyrone. Their issue included a son, William Morris (d.1769), “who assumed the surname of Jones on inheriting the property of his uncle, Roth Jones.” William Morris Hamilton-Jones was the progenitor of the Morris Joneses of Moneyglass, county Antrim.
  • Anne Jones, who m. Patrick Morris of Silverwood, 8 November 1683; and
  • Mary Jones, who m. Francis Courtney of Carrickbroad, co. Armagh.

William Morris Jones of Moneyglass was also known as Bumper Squire Jones. In his history of The Jones Family in Ireland, Leech (1) asserts that William Morris Jones was the great-grandson of Henry Jones (c.1605–1681), D.D., Bishop of Clogher (1645–1661) and Meath (1661–1681). If this connection is correct, Henry Jones, in turn, was the son of Lewis Jones of Merionethshire, Wales, who died at Dublin in 1646, aged 104 years. The sons of Lewis, who married after the age of sixty, included Sir Theophilus Jones of Osbertstown, Colonel Michael Jones, Governor of Dublin, Henry Jones, the Bishop of Meath, and Ambrose Jones, Bishop of Kildare. (2) Sources: (1) Leech, Robert. The Jones Family in Ireland. Yonkers, NY: M.H. Clark, 1886. (2) Wright, William Ball. The Ussher Memoirs. Dublin: Sealy, Bryers, and Walker, and London: Mitchell & Hughes, 1889.

❖          ❖          ❖

© Alison Kilpatrick, 2017. All rights reserved.
Copyright notice

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."—Lesley Poles Hartley (1895–1972), The Go-Between (1953).

E-mail   |   Subscribe to RSS feed   |   Subscribe to mailing list   |   Privacy statement   |   Site map

© Alison Kilpatrick 2014–2018. All rights reserved.