logo

Local history :: Ireland

:–: Parish of Aghaloo, County Tyrone

::–:: Variant spellings of townlands in the Manor of Caledon, 1708


This page provides a summary of the townlands comprising the Caledon estate in 1708, with comparisons to spellings at other dates between 1609–1834.

Introduction:

In my study of the local history of the parish of Aghaloo in county Tyrone, the earliest record that I've found to date in the Memorials of Irish deeds [1] is no. 1-472-368, dated 15th & 16th February 1708. This particular transaction formalized a marriage settlement in anticipation of the intended union of John Hamilton, Esq., of Caledon, and Lucy, second daughter of Dr. Anthony Dopping, Bishop of Meath, and sister to Dr. Anthony Dopping, Bishop of Ossory. For his own part, the bridegroom was the son of William Hamilton (d.1672), Esq., of Caledon. [2] 

By inheritance through his father who, in 1663, obtained from Charles II a grant of Sir Phelim O'Neill's estate, [3] in 1673 John Hamilton became the proprietor of the Manor of Caledon—which was, in fact, the ancient manor of Kinnaird. Forty years later, in 1713, John Hamilton himself was dead, leaving a son, William, who died young, and a daughter, Margaret. [4] 

From this point, leases in the Manor of Caledon were granted by the heiress to the estate, Margaret Hamilton, then styled Spinster, of Caledon. Upon her marriage in 1738 to John Boyle, the Right Hon. Earl of Corke and Orrery, Miss Hamilton became known as the Right Hon. Countess of Corke and Orrery—and leases were granted to tenants under the joint authority of the Earl and the Countess.

Extent of the Manor of Caledon:

Though its name suggests county Tyrone interests, the Manor of Caledon also included land holdings in the county of Armagh. The Hamilton-Dopping marriage settlement detailed the assignment by Mr. Hamilton of the county Tyrone portion of his estate to three parties—namely, William King, the Lord Archbishop of Dublin, and Francis Bernard and Samuel Dopping of Dublin, Esqrs.—for "the severall Trusts Charges Provisoes Conditions Powers Limitations and Agreements in the said Quadripartite Indenture of Release Expressed limitted and Declared." Not unusually, these trusts were not spelled out in the Memorial, but the most likely objectives of this assignment were to provide jointure to Miss Dopping should Mr. Hamilton predecease her, and to specify the order of inheritance, typically along the line of male primogeniture.

Observations:

Remarks:

Further analysis required:

Do the differences in the place names identified in the 1708 Memorial and the 1860 estate list reflect additions and divestments transacted by Mr. Hamilton and his heirs? and/or by subsequent proprietors, notably the Alexander family? While it is almost certain that the answers to these questions lie in the Caledon and other estate papers held by the PRONI, it will be fun—and hopefully, informative—to trace these changes in the Manor of Caledon by a continuing study of the Memorials of Irish deeds for the parish of Aghaloo.

List of townlands comprising the Manor of Caledon:

The two lists which follow—one for the county of Tyrone, the other for county Armagh—compare variant spellings for townlands that were itemized in Memorial no. 1-472-368. Each line contains the following information:

Each outline of townland names concludes with two lists: first, townlands cited in the Memorial but not by the PRONI; and second, townlands cited by the PRONI but not found in the Memorial.

— List 1. Townlands in the Barony of Dungannon (county Tyrone) portion of the Manor of Caledon, as written in Memorial no. 1-472-368 (dated 15 & 16 February 1708) – with notes from the Place Names of Northern Ireland Project as to historic variant spellings (primarily anglicizations dating from the mid-1600s), Gaelic spellings and meanings, and the spellings included by the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI), marked with †, in its list of townlands comprising the Caledon estate c.1860:

List 2. Townlands in the Barony of Tiranny (county Armagh) portion of the Manor of Caledon, as written in Memorial no. 1-472-368 (dated 15 & 16 February 1708) – with notes from the Place Names Project of Northern Ireland as to historic variant spellings (primarily anglicizations dating from the mid-1600s), Gaelic spellings and meanings, and the spellings included by the PRONI, marked with †, in its list of townlands comprising the Caledon estate c.1860:


Footnotes and sources:

  1. This document was not an original deed, but rather issued from a repository of Memorials: these are essentially copies of the original deeds. Memorials of Irish deeds have been maintained by the Registry of Deeds office in Henrietta street in Dublin since the year, 1708. Memorials composed for legal deposit with the Registry had to meet limited information requirements.
  2. Registry of Deeds, Ireland. Memorial no. 1-472-368: John Hamilton to Lord Archbishop of Dublin (dated 15 & 16 February 1708, registered 19 March 1708). Microfilm copy held by the Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA (archival ref. FHL film no. 522803; digital images online at FamilySearch, familysearch.org). Index entries submitted by Alison Kilpatrick to Registry of Deeds Index Project Ireland, www.irishdeedsindex.net, 2017-02-22.
  3. Russell, C.W., and J.P. Prendergast. The Carte Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library, Oxford. A Report Presented to the Right Honourable Lord Romilly, Master of the Rolls. London: George E. Eyre and William Spottiswoode, 1871.
  4. Boyle, Edmund M. "Capt. Wm. Hamilton, 1661." Notes and Queries. 5th Series. Vol. V. June 10, 1876 (pp. 472–3). London: John Francis.
  5. Northern Ireland Place-Name Project (1987–2013), with support from Queen's University, Belfast; the Department of the Environment, Northern Ireland; the Arts & Humanities Research Council (UK); and Foras na Gaeilge. Online at www.placenamesni.org (accessed 2017-03-17).
  6. Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (Belfast). Index of townlands by Estate; Caledon c.1860 (PRONI ref. D/2433). Online at webarchive.proni.gov.uk/
    content/20151028110650/http:/apps.proni.gov.uk/geogindx/town.htm#caledon (accessed 2017-03-17).
  7. Trinity College, Dublin. The Down Survey of Ireland. Online at downsurvey.tcd.ie (accessed 2017-03-26).
  8. The analyses of these two townland names have been corrected with the kind assistance of Sean Barden, Curatorial Services Officer at Armagh County Museum, Armagh. (2017-03-26)

Source citation for this page: Kilpatrick, Alison. "Variant spellings in the Manor of Caledon (county Tyrone), 1708." Published 18 March 2017 (rev. 26 March 2017, 31 March 2017, 9 March 2020); online at Arborealis, www.arborealis.ca/lochist/ireland/aghaloo-caledon-townlands-1708.html; accessed [insert today's date].