logo

Local history :: Ireland

:–: Parish of Aghaloo, County Tyrone

::–:: Manors of Ballymagran and Caledon, 1708–1713


This page presents an analysis of the landholdings specified in two Memorials of Irish deeds involving the Manor of Ballymagran in 1708 and 1713. This information is combined with similar townland data regarding the Caledon estate in 1708, to produce a townland map of the modern (c.1834) or civil parish of Aghaloo, depicting the known landlords as of 1708.

Following an analysis of the townlands in the Manor of Kinard 1613–1708, later known as the Caledon estate, our next stop in this historical tour of the parish of Aghaloo is Memorial no. 2-179-366, dated 1st February 1708. [1] 

This Memorial registered an indenture of marriage settlement, executed by Francis White (Whyte) of Redhills, county Cavan, in behalf of his son and heir apparent, Thomas, and by James Naper of Loghcrue in county Meath, in behalf of his youngest daughter, Sarah. Though it is a very early Memorial in the history of the Irish Registry of Deeds, the form and substance of this marriage settlement held for such settlements for many years to come. For example, the father of the bridegroom conveyed lands into the hands of trustees. Though the Memorial states only that this conveyance was done for the severall Uses Trusts Intents and Purposes mentioned in the deed, this was an oblique reference to the custom of ensuring jointure for the wife should her husband predecease her, and to specify the line of inheritance for any issue of the marriage.

One of the considerable tracts of land that were set aside by Mr. Whyte for these purposes was the Manor of Ballymagran. The following townlands in the parish of Aghaloo made up a considerable proportion of the Manor in the deed executed in 1708. The list includes variant spellings from a later deed—an assignment of mortgage executed by Francis Whyte of Redhills on 22d May 1713 [2]—together with their [modern spellings dating from the 1830s in square brackets]:

Also included in this estate were four other townlands:

This information—taken with Memorial no. 1-472-368, the marriage settlement of John Hamilton of Caledon, Esq., dated 15th February 1708, [3]—permits the following draft of a map of the parish of Aghaloo, depicting the known landlords as of 1708: [4] 


map of parish
      of Aghaloo, showing known landlords in 1708

— Landlords c.1708 have yet to be identified for Annagh, Mullaghmore West, Cronghill, Knocknaroy, and Glenarb townlands.


Footnotes and sources:

  1. Registry of Deeds, Ireland. Memorial no. 2-179-366: White to Naper (marriage settlement, dated 1708-02-01 & -02; registered 1708-03-18). Microfilm copy held by the Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA (archival ref. FHL film no. 522803; digital images online at FamilySearch, familysearch.org). Transcript and index entries submitted by Alison Kilpatrick to Registry of Deeds Index Project Ireland, www.irishdeedsindex.net, 2017-03-20.
  2. Registry of Deeds, Ireland. Memorial no. 10-398-3934: White and others to Sanderson (dated 22 May 1713, registered 27 May 1713). Microfilm copy held by the Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA (archival ref. FHL film no. 522809; digital images online at FamilySearch, familysearch.org). Index entries submitted by Alison Kilpatrick to Registry of Deeds Index Project Ireland, www.irishdeedsindex.net, 2017-02-22.
  3. Registry of Deeds, Ireland. Memorial no. 1-472-368: John Hamilton to Lord Archbishop of Dublin (dated 15 & 16 February 1708, registered 19 March 1708). Microfilm copy held by the Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA (archival ref. FHL film no. 522803; digital images online at FamilySearch, familysearch.org). Index entries submitted by Alison Kilpatrick to Registry of Deeds Index Project Ireland, www.irishdeedsindex.net, 2017-02-22.
  4. Kilpatrick, Alison. Map of the Parish of Aughalow: Manors and Landlords c.1708 (2017). Based on Memorials of Irish deeds: (i) No. 2-179-366: White to Naper (marriage settlement, dated 1708-02-01 & -02; registered 1708-03-18). Microfilm copy held by the Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA (archival ref. FHL film no. 522803; digital images online at FamilySearch, familysearch.org). Transcript and index entries submitted by Alison Kilpatrick to Registry of Deeds Index Project Ireland, www.irishdeedsindex.net, 2017-03-20; and (ii) No. 1-472-368: John Hamilton to Lord Archbishop of Dublin (dated 15 & 16 February 1708, registered 19 March 1708). Microfilm copy held by the Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA (archival ref. FHL film no. 522803; digital images online at FamilySearch, familysearch.org). Index entries submitted by Alison Kilpatrick to Registry of Deeds Index Project Ireland, www.irishdeedsindex.net, 2017-02-22. Map adapted from the regional map hosted by the Ireland/Mapping Townlands project, © OpenStreetMap contributors, online at dev3.openstreetmap.ie/osm/slippymap.html (accessed 2017-03-31).

Source citation for this page: Kilpatrick, Alison. "Ancient territory of Largie, county Tyrone, 1609–1723." Published 16 May 2017; online at Arborealis, www.arborealis.ca/lochist/ireland/aghaloo-largie.html; accessed [insert today's date].