Manors of Ballymagran and Caledon in the parish of Aghaloo, c.1708

Following an analysis of the townlands in the Manor of Kinard 1613–1708, later known as the Caledon estate, our next stop in this historical tour of the parish of Aghaloo is Memorial no. 2-179-366. [1]

This Memorial registered a deed of marriage settlement, executed by Francis White (or Whyte) of Redhills in county Cavan, in behalf of his son and heir apparent, Thomas, and James Naper of Loghcrue in county Meath, in behalf of his youngest daughter, Sarah. Though it is a very early Memorial in the history of the Irish Registry of Deeds, the form and substance of this marriage settlement held for such settlements for many years to come. For example, the father of the bridegroom conveyed lands into the hands of trustees. Though the Memorial states only that this conveyance was done for the "severall Uses Trusts Intents and Purposes" mentioned in the deed, this was an oblique reference to the custom of ensuring jointure for the wife should her husband predecease her, and to specify the line of inheritance for any issue of the marriage.

Part of the considerable tracts of land that were set aside by Mr. Whyte for these purposes was the Manor of Ballymagrane. The following townlands in the parish of Aghaloo made up a considerable proportion of the Manor in the deed executed in 1708. The list includes variant spellings from a later deed—an assignment of mortgage executed by Francis Whyte of Redhills on 22 May 1713 [3]—together with their [modern spellings dating from the 1830s in square brackets]:

  • Aghmoylan alias Anaghmore [Annagh More]
  • Bohard alias Board [Bohard]
  • Carricklawhill; also Carricklawich in 1713 [Carricklongfield]
  • Crolly alias Cruly; also Croly in 1713 [Crilly]
  • Dromearne alias Mullasdus; also Mullasolm in 1713 [Drumearn]
  • Dromon alias Dromont [Drummond]
  • Adonakeeragh alias Edenegeragh; also Adanekeeragh alias Edenegearagh in 1713 [Edenageeragh]
  • Glassdromont alias Glastromen; also Glassdromon in 1713 [Glasdrummond]
  • Cloneroe [Cloncroe?] near Dromon; also Clonecroe in 1713 [Glencrew]
  • Clanedervagh alias Clanedaghvough [or Clanedaghwough] als Clonedawhie; also Clanedaeghie alias Clanedavough alias Clandawghie in 1713 [Glendavagh]
  • Clankeene alias Claneskearnea; also Clankeane and Claneskearne in 1713 [Glenkeen]
  • Leggenagh alias Legane; also Leggugagh in 1713 [Legane]
  • Mullaghorne alias Mullanehorane; also Mullanchorne in 1713 [Mulnahorn]
  • Rathhahie alias Rahahie [Rehaghy]
  • Tullyblintie alias Tullyblittie; also Tullyblinty alias Tulliblitty in 1713 [Tullyblety]

Also included in this estate were four other townlands:

  • Tullagh alias Tully [Tully] in the parish of Carnteel, lying just outside the northwest part of the parish of Aghaloo; and 
  • Farrater or Tarrater [Farriter], Fassglassagh or Tassglassagh [Fasglashagh], and Shee [Shee], in the parish of Killeeshil.

This information—taken with Memorial no. 1-472-368, Hamilton to Dublin (15 Feb 1708) [2]—permits the following draft of a map of the parish of Aghaloo, depicting the known landlords as of 1708 [4]:

Click on image to view in new window.

☛ Landlords c.1708 have yet to be identified for Annagh, Mullaghmore West, Cronghill, Knocknaroy, and Glenarb townlands.

Links:

Sources and notes:

1.

Registry of Deeds, Ireland. Memorial no. 2-179-366: White to Naper (marriage settlement, dated 1708-02-01 & -02; reg'rd 1708-03-18). Copy per FHL film no. 522803. Transcribed by Alison Kilpatrick, and submitted to www.irishdeedsindex.net, 2017-03-20.

2.

Registry of Deeds, Ireland. Ireland. Memorial no. 1-472-368: John Hamilton to Lord Archbishop of Dublin (dated 15 & 16 February 1708; reg'rd 19 March 1708). Copy per FHL film no. 522803. Transcribed by Alison Kilpatrick, and submitted to www.irishdeedsindex.net, 2017-02-22.

3.

Registry of Deeds, Ireland. Memorial no. 10-398-3934, White and others to Sanderson (dated 22 May 1713, reg'rd 27 May 1713). Copy per FHL film no. 522809. Indexed by Alison Kilpatrick, and index entries submitted to www.irishdeedsindex.net, 2017-02-22.

4.

Kilpatrick, Alison. Map of the parish of Aughalow: Manors and Landlords c.1708 (2017). Based on Memorials of Irish deeds: (i) No. 2-179-366: White to Naper (marriage settlement, dated 1708-02-01 & -02; reg'rd 1708-03-18); copy per FHL film no. 522803; transcribed by Alison Kilpatrick, and submitted to www.irishdeedsindex.net, 2017-03-20; and (ii) No. 1-472-368: John Hamilton to Lord Archbishop of Dublin (dated 15 & 16 February 1708; reg'rd 19 March 1708); copy per FHL film no. 522803; transcribed by Alison Kilpatrick, and submitted to www.irishdeedsindex.net, 2017-02-22. Adapted from the Ireland/Mapping Townlands project, © OpenStreetMap contributors, online at http://dev3.openstreetmap.ie/osm/slippymap.html (accessed 2017-03-31).

❖          ❖          ❖

© Alison Kilpatrick, 2017. All rights reserved.
Copyright notice

This blog article was edited on 30 April 2107.

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."—Lesley Poles Hartley (1895–1972), The Go-Between (1953).

E-mail   |   Subscribe to RSS feed   |   Subscribe to mailing list   |   Privacy statement   |   Site map

© Alison Kilpatrick 2014–2017. All rights reserved.